Monday 29 November 2010

Interview with plus size model Nina Blakemore

Plus size models are getting more recognition. From designers like Mark Fast using curvy girls to give his clothes justice to the new season’s trends celebrating all there is to be a woman, the fashion world could be falling out of love with the dangerous size zero trend. Teen Vogue chats to Nina Blakemore, a successful plus size model, who has been working with style guru, Gok Wan, for four years.

How did you first make it into the modelling industry?

Originally, I was a size eight model and had been approached by an agent at a fashion show I attended. However, I found it difficult to maintain being a size eight. I suffered from an eating disorder then and was very ill.

What made you recover from your eating disorder?

I just decided enough was enough. I wasn’t happy. I let my body gain it’s natural weight and shape. It was perfect as this was the time around ten years ago when “plus size” modelling was just starting.

What do you love about being able to be a plus size model?

I think the obvious answer is not having to restrict what I eat. I am not a naturally skinny girl. I still look after myself and go to the gym regularly but if I want a chocolate bar, I will have one and not feel guilty about it!

I am also comfortable being in my own skin. I have had so many opportunities come my way through being a size 18 model.

What are your thoughts on the size zero debate and the influence of the media on young people?

I am concerned about size zero. I wish we could start seeing more healthy models being used on the catwalks, in magazines and in adverts. Unfortunately it is still a huge “issue” when plus size girls are used for campaigns [like Mark Fast’s]. I can’t wait for the day when it is just seen as “normal” to see everyday women in the media.

I do think the media has a social responsibility, regarding the health and wellbeing of their readers. The number of young adults suffering with an eating disorder of some kind has risen dramatically over the last two years. [There are currently between 1.1 million and 1.6 million people suffering from an eating disorder in the UK]. The media is powerful and there are a lot of impressionable young people that they should be accountable for.

You campaign for healthier models and positive body image. What kind of things do you do?

I hope that by being a plus size model and comfortable with my figure, I promote a positive body image. I have so many women coming up to me at the end of shows and commenting on how refreshing it is to see a “real woman” in the outfits. Someone who women realistically look like.

I am also involved with the charity, Beat. I am proud to be associated with them. As someone who has recovered from an eating disorder, I can empathise with a lot of the people who benefit from the service they provide. [Beat has help lines, one-to-one services, live chats, email services and forums]. I do media work for them and try to promote their work as much as possible.

How did you start working with Gok Wan?

I went to the casting for his new show, “How To Look Good Naked”, four years ago. It was for the second series where they wanted to start using a catwalk show. Gok and I hit it off straight away. I have been lucky enough to have been a “Gokette” in every single series since!

I am truly grateful to him and his wonderful team. “How To Look Good Naked” epitomises everything that I have been working towards over the last 12 years of my life – “You don’t have to be a size zero to be gorgeous!”

So what is next?!

Well, I currently work all over the world, taking part in fashion shows and shoots. I am also trying a bit of presenting too. Then I hope to open an online boutique selling trendy clothes to curvaceous confident girls!

We heart you, Nina! To check out Nina’s work, go to her website at www.ninablakemore.com

No comments:

Post a Comment